This article describes the resources view of the resource pool in Meisterplan.
- Opening the Resources View
- Overview of the Resources View
- Viewing and Editing a Resource
- Searching Resources
- Adding Resources
- Deleting a Resource
- Backing up and Restoring Resources
Opening the Resources View
The resource pool will open displaying the resources view.
After switching to another resource pool view, select Resources in the list of data types to the left to return to the resources view.
Overview of the Resources View
In the resources view, you can view, edit, add and delete resources.
The view displays a list of all resources in the middle and details of the selected resource to the right.
Viewing and Editing a Resource
To view or edit a resource, select the associated list item.
The right panel will display the properties of the selected resource:
The General tab features the most common resource fields and lets you select the resource's primary role and calendar.
- Last Name
- First Name
- External Resource (external resources are displayed with a blue icon in the resource section of the Portfolio Designer view.)
- Primary Role (default project role of the resource; resource may be allocated to a project in any role. Please note that changing a resource's primary role will not change that resource's project roles in existing allocations, which will stay the same as initially assigned.)
- Calendar (resource availability by week day and holidays)
The Details tab features the resource's start and termination date, cost per hour, geo-reporting fields, OBS and skills.
- Start date/Termination date (the resource's capacity will be set to zero before the start date and after the termination date. Also, after the termination date, the resource will no longer be available for selection when adding allocations to a project.)
- Cost per hour (for allocation cost calculation; if a resource has no cost per hour, the cost per hour of the resource's primary role is used for allocation cost calculation.)
- Country (for geo-reporting)
- City (for geo-reporting)
- Postal Code (for geo-reporting)
- OBS (select any number of OBS sub-units. Please note that OBS sub-units can be connected to roles and resources, while top level units cannot.)
- Skills (select any number of skills.)
Absences, Vacations and Capacity Changes
In the Absences tab, you can view, edit, add and delete resource absences (e.g., sick leaves), vacations and capacity changes.
Alternatively, when working with the plan of record, you can view, edit, add and delete resource absences, vacations and capacity changes directly in the resource section of the Portfolio Designer view. See the Resource Absences, Vacations and Capacity Changes article for details about this.
Resource absences, vacations and capacity changes are global: they will take effect in the plan of record and in every scenario.
Add Absence, Vacation or Capacity Change: click the plus icon above the list. A new list item will be inserted for the new absence, vacation or capacity change.
- Capacity: this defaults to 0% for a new absence or vacation. For a capacity change, enter a percentage of the resource's original capacity defined by her calendar.
- The effect of a resource capacity change depends on the resource's original capacity:
- Setting the capacity of a resource with a 40 hour calendar to 50% will result in a 20 hour capacity.
- Setting the capacity of a resource with a 20 hour calendar to 50% will result in a 10 hour capacity.
- Start Date / End Date: enter or select the start and end date of the absence, vacation or capacity change.
- Dates will be checked for consistency as you enter them, such that list items won't overlap.
- If you enter absences, vacations and/or capacity changes before the resource start date or after the resource termination date (see Details tab), these entries will be changed, such that they are between these two dates, when you Apply your changes.
- Both the start and end date are optional. If you leave either date empty, the entry will be limited by the previous or next list item, or by the resource start or termination date. If there is no previous or next list item and the resource has no start or termination date, the entry will not be limited in the respective direction on the timeline.
Delete Absence, Vacation or Capacity Change: point at the absence, vacation or capacity change you wish to delete and click the garbage can icon displayed in its list item. The item will be removed from the list without asking for confirmation, but it will only be deleted permanently once you click Apply. Click Discard to restore it.
Applying or Discarding Changes
Any changes you make here, except for the deletion of resources, are preliminary.
Click Apply to save your changes.
Click Discard to revert your changes.
Search Resources: click the magnifier icon above the resource list.
A search field will be displayed above the list. Enter a part of the first or last name of the resource you are looking for to filter the resource list.
To search for the full name of a resource, enter "Last name, First name", separated by a comma (e.g., "Miller, Scott").
Close Search Box: click the X icon above the list to close the search box and reset the list, such that it displays all items again.
You can add resources in Meisterplan either manually or collectively by importing them.
Adding Resources by Import
There are several options for importing resources collectively, and some options can also be automated:
- Adding resources from other tools
- Excel Imports
- Copy and Paste Import from Spreadsheets
In this article you will find all details on adding resources manually.
Adding Resources Manually
Add Resource: click the plus icon above the resource list. A new list item will be inserted for the new resource.
Enter the properties of the new resource in the right panel.
Once you have entered all properties for your new resource, click Apply to create the resource.
Click Discard to cancel creating a new resource.
Deleting a Resource
point at the resource you wish to delete and click the garbage can icon displayed in its list item.
You will be asked to confirm the deletion. If you do, the resource will be deleted.
Please note that when you delete a resource, allocations of that resource in the plan of record or in any scenario will no longer be displayed, including allocations in the past.