Use copy and paste to easily use import new and updated resources into Meisterplan from spreadsheets. This helps you plan your portfolio with the most up-to-date data.
- How to Find
- Step 1: Choose Type of Data and Prepare
- Step 2: Copy & Paste
- Step 3: Assign Fields
- Step 4: Validate & Edit
Required User Rights
For importing resources as described in this article, you need to have the following rights:
- Edit Resource Pool and Absences
- Import and Export Data
You can import data from all common spreadsheet formats, such as Microsoft Excel (both the desktop application and the Office 365 version) and Google Sheets.
How to Find
In the Portfolio Designer, click Import and Export and select Quick Import to open an overview of all copy and paste imports from spreadsheets:
Step 1: Choose Type of Data and Prepare
You can add new resources and update existing ones. Find a detailed overview of when resources can be updated here.
Download Sample Resource List
If you don‘t have a spreadsheet of resources on hand, download our sample list of resources. This sample resource list serves as an outline for configuring your resource related data. You can also use the sample list to run a test import into your Meisterplan system:
Your existing resources will not be overwritten or deleted by the test import. You can delete the imported sample resources at any time.
To successfully import your resources, your spreadsheet should contain one line per resource, and a column for each data field you would like to import.
Fields That Can Be Imported
These are the required fields that your spreadsheet should contain:
- Last Name
These fields are the optional fields you can import:
- First Name
- Primary Role
- Start Date: for the correct format see here
- Termination Date: for thecorrect format see here
- Cost per Hour: for the correct format see here
- Postal Code
- OBS fields: Only OBS fields of the first level; you can import OBS fields even without Resource Pool rights; you can add new OBS sub-units in Meisterplan using “>”
- Skills: separate skills using a comma; this also lets you also add new skills in Meisterplan
Date and Number Formatting
To successfully import date and number fields, follow the formatting standards below:
To correctly import dates into Meisterplan, your spreadsheet and browser language or locale settings (e.g., English – United States) must match. Your selected language in Meisterplan is not relevant in this case and may differ.
To import dates successfully:
- Enter your dates in the YYYY-MM-DD format and the date format will be updated based on your browser language settings.
- Or compare the language settings of your browser and your spreadsheet to ensure they are set to the same language. Some browsers distinguish between the language they use to display websites and the language for their own menus - the former is relevant when importing data.
To successfully import numbers with decimals (e.g., 2.5 FTE in English, 2,5 FTE in German), your spreadsheet and browser language also need to match (see above). If they don’t match, the number will not be imported, and you will get an error message.
To import numbers successfully:
- Do not use a thousands separator (e.g., $10,500) because they will not be recognized and could be misinterpreted as decimals separators.
- Enter only positive numbers, negative numbers (e.g., -5 hours) will cause an error message.
- Do not add units such as currency (e.g., $ or €). Your Meisterplan system will automatically use the currency selected in the left Sidebar under General Settings.
Step 2: Copy & Paste
Copy the desired data from your spreadsheet and paste the data in Meisterplan (e.g., using CTRL+V). In this step, you can copy and paste different data as often as needed.
Step 3: Assign Fields
If your imported column name matches an existing field in Meisterplan, Meisterplan will assign it automatically. If you’d like to change or adda field assignment, just drag and drop the Meisterplan field to the desired location. This step ensures your spreadsheet data maps to the appropriate Meisterplan project field.
Step 4: Validate & Edit
Validation and Error Correction
In this step you can validate and edit your resources before import. Simply edit the highlighted field by clicking on it. Fields highlighted in dark red indicate an error that will prevent the complete line (i.e. the project) from being imported:
Once you've corrected all errors, click Import. Your resources are now available in the Resource Pool.
Update Existing Resources
If resources from your spreadsheet already exist in Meisterplan, they will be updated on import. This is possible only if the names of the resources in your spreadsheet exactly match the names in Meisterplan.
Please note that, while Meisterplan generally supports having multiple resources with the same name, updating such data through the quick import is not possible.
Here are more details on when resources can be updated:
|Example||Data in Spreadsheets||Existing Data in Meisterplan||What Will Happen in Meisterplan|
|Case 1||"Saunders, Tim", "Miller, Matthew"||"Saunders, Tim||"Saunders, Tim" will be updated in Meisterplan, "Miller, Matthew" will be added|
|Case 2||"Saunders, Tim", "Saunders, Tim"||-||Both resources will be added to Meisterplan.|
|Case 3||"Saunders, Tim", "Saunders, Tim"||"Saunders, Tim"||Meisterplan will neither update nor import these resources, because there are two resources with the same name in your spreadsheet.|
|Case 4||"Saunders, Tim"||"Saunders, Tim", "Saunders, Tim"||Meisterplan will neither update nor import these resources, because there are two resources with the same name in Meisterplan.|
|Case 5||"Saunders, Tim", "Saunders, Tim"||"Saunders, Tim", "Saunders, Tim"||Meisterplan will neither update nor import these resources, because there are two resources with the same name in your spreadsheet and in Meisterplan.|
Once you've clicked Import, your resources will be available in the Resource Pool:
Newly Created Field Values
If your spreadsheet contains new values not yet in Meisterplan, for example, primary roles, departments or skills, they will be added during import: