Availability: Some of the features described in this article are only available in the Pro and Premium Edition.
This article gives an overview about the project section of the Portfolio Designer view in Meisterplan.
Overview of the Project Section
The projects section is divided into the left hand side list and the right hand side Gantt chart:
- Via the List of Projects, you prioritize projects, group them with programs and add or remove allocations.
- The Gantt Chart is where you schedule projects, edit allocations and add milestones and dependencies.
The following features are available in the list:
- Filter projects: Click the funnel icon to filter the list and Gantt chart. See the Project Filter article for details.
- Reprioritize projects: At any time, you can reprioritize projects by dragging & dropping the respective project name up or down.
- Show and edit project details: To do this, move the mouse over a project name and click the pen icon. See the Adding, Editing or Viewing a Project article for details.
- Show allocations: Click the arrow icon left of a project name, or the double arrow icon left of a program name.
- Add allocations: Move the mouse over a project name and click the plus icon. See the Adding and Editing Allocations article for details.
- Remove allocations: To do this, right-click an allocation and select Remove from Project from the context menu.
- Move the Must-Have Line and Cut-Off Line: To structure your project portfolio, drag and drop the Must-Have Line or Cut-Off Line up or down. Projects below the Cut-Off Line are not considered in workload calculations (resource section) and budget utilization (financials section). Detailed information is available in the Must-Have Line and Cut-Off Line article.
- Additional functions: Right-click a project name to open a context menu. It lets you do things like deleting projects or automatically sorting them by project score. See the Project Context Menu article for details.
Gantt Chart Features
The following features are available in the Gantt chart:
- Edit Allocations: Click the respective allocation segment in the Gantt chart. See the Adding and Editing Allocations article for details.
- Reschedule projects and programs: Move the project bar using drag and drop as described in the Moving a Project or a Program article.
- Projects are displayed as colored bars. Colors may display the allocated workload, business goals, project phases, staffing, status or field values of any custom field. Select the desired color scheme in the Settings of the Portfolio Designer view. See the Gantt Color Scheme section of the Portfolio Designer Settings article for details.
- Change project length and split projects: These operations are detailed in the Extending Projects with or without Allocations, Shortening and Stopping Projects and Splitting Projects articles.
- Add and edit Milestones: Add milestones to projects, define project phases, and create Dependencies between milestones. See the Milestones, Project Phases and Dependencies article for details.
- Show Overallocation: A red bar will be displayed at the top of the project bar in periods where at least one assigned role or resource is over-allocated. You may define the proportion of the capacity that must be exceeded for this warning to appear. See the Profile article for details.
- Additional functions: Right-click a project bar to open a context menu for additional options. See the Project Context Menu article for details.
Selecting Projects and Programs
- Click a project or a program in the list or Gantt chart to select it. You may also select multiple projects and/or programs via [Shift] or [Ctrl]. Please note that only the projects in your current date range will be displayed.
- Selected projects and programs will be highlighted in the project list and Gantt chart.
- The Gantt chart will display any milestones and dependencies of selected projects and of projects belonging to selected programs.
- The resource section will be filtered to display only roles and resources allocated to selected projects or to projects belonging to selected programs.
- Click Clear Resource Filter on the divider bar to remove the selection.