Milestones in the Edit Project Window
Please note that you may also view and edit milestones in the Edit Project window:
Adding, Editing, Deleting and Moving Milestones
- To add a milestone to a project, right-click the desired date in the project bar to open the project context menu and select the Add Milestone option.
- Enter a name or select a project phase. If you select a project phase, it will be adopted as name. The selected project phase will start with the previous milestone or the project start and end with this milestone.
- The milestone will be created at the date you right-clicked when creating it. If desired, change the date via the associated field.
- Right-click a milestone to open the associated context menu. This offers options to edit or delete the milestone as well as to split or stop a project at the milestone.
- To move a milestone, select Edit Milestone in the context menu or drag it with the mouse.
Splitting or Stopping a Project at a Milestone
Select Split at Milestone from the context menu for a milestone to split the project at the date of that milestone. The milestone will go to the end of the project segment before the split.
Select Stop at Milestone... from the context menu for a milestone to stop the project at the date of that milestone. Any other milestones, financial events and allocations after the milestone will be dropped.
Displaying Milestone Hints
Hover over a milestone to display a hint showing its name, date and project phase:
Displaying Milestone Names
Click on the More icon that appears when you hover the mouse over a project name, or right-click a project bar and select the Show All Milestone Names context menu option to display milestone names for the selected project.
All milestone names for the selected project will be displayed:
Remove the selection or select the Hide All Milestone Names context menu option for the active project to hide milestone names again.
Defining Project Phases
Project phase names and colors are defined under Manage > General Settings.
Editing these settings requires the Administrator or Data Manager access level.
Displaying Project Phase Colors
To display project phase colors in the Gantt chart, open the Settings for the Portfolio Designer view via the toolbar and select the Project Phases color scheme under Projects there.
Creating and Deleting Milestone Dependencies
Dependencies between projects are defined via dependencies between milestones of different projects in Meisterplan.
Such a dependency is regarded as satisfied when the milestone at the start of the displayed arrow lies before the milestone at the arrow tip on the timeline.
Dependencies between milestones of the same project cannot be defined in Meisterplan.
Proceed as follows to create a dependency between two milestones.
- Hover over a milestone. A little right arrow is displayed next to the milestone.
- Hover the right arrow until the mouse pointer is displayed as a hand icon.
- Click the right arrow, press the mouse button and hold it. An arrow representing the new dependency will show up. All milestones available as targets for the new dependency will be highlighted.
- Holding the mouse button, drag the arrow to the milestone that is the desired target for the dependency.
- Release the mouse button to create the dependency. It will be displayed when you hover or select either of the two projects it connects.
- To delete a dependency, right-click the dependency line to open the associated context menu and select Delete Dependency.
Displaying Milestones and Dependencies in a Project
Hover over a project or select it to display all of its milestones and their dependencies.
The arrow indicating the dependency will turn red if the dependency is not met (i.e., the milestone at start of arrow is after end of arrow).
Also, any milestone that belongs to a project above the cut-off line and has one or more unfulfilled dependencies will always be displayed in red even when the project it belongs to is not hovered over or selected.
Displaying Only Dependent Projects
Right click a project and select the Show Only Dependent Projects context menu option to hide all projects except for those that either depend on the selected project or that the selected project depends on.
All projects that are not connected to the selected project via inbound or outbound dependencies will be hidden:
Remove the selection or select the Show All Projects context menu option for the active project to show all projects again.
Displaying Milestones and Dependencies in a Program
Milestones belonging to projects in a program above the cut-off line will also be displayed in red when they have unfulfilled dependencies, even when the program is collapsed and not hovered over or selected.
Hover over a collapsed program or select it to display all of its milestones that have dependencies pointing to or from projects outside the program.
Expand a program and select it to display all of its milestones and dependencies.