Availability All Editions
See what changes were made for each project and program within your portfolio, when these changes were made and by whom. This lets you identify if a project's details are up to date.
- How to Find the Change Log
- How the Change Log Works
- Automatic notification of changes
Where to Find Which Change Log
To access the Change Logs, you need to have the Access Change Log right.
Click the hour icon in the right sidebar to open the Information Panel with the Change Log.
You can display the Change Log for a project, a program or an entire portfolio. When you select a project or program, the Change Log displays only its changes. If no project or program is selected, the Change Log displays all changes made to all projects and programs within the current portfolio.
This overview details which Change Log can be displayed in which view:
|Project Change Log||Program Change Log||Portfolio Change Log|
Project Change Log
In the Project Change Log, you will see all changes made to the selected project, for example, changes to the schedule, project fields or milestones. Find more details here.
Program Change Log
In the Program Change Log, you will see only changes made to the program (e.g., to the program name), not changes made to projects within the program.
Portfolio Change Log
In the Portfolio Change Log, you will see all changes made to the projects and programs within a selected portfolio.
To open a project's details from the Portfolio Change Log, move your cursor over an entry in the Change Log and click the square icon that appears after the project name.
How the Change Log Works
Each Change Log entry contains the following information:
- Who (name and profile picture)
- When (date and time depending on your browser settings)
- Which Project/Program (Portfolio Change Log only)
- detail that was changed
- old value and new value (changes in rank and rank category do not display the old value)
Only changes made to projects and programs that are within the selected date range are displayed.
Changes to projects began being logged as of 11/10/2020, and changes to programs as of 02/03/2021. Changes made before these dates have not been logged.
Changes are still being logged even when no users have the access right to view them. As soon as you grant a user group access to the Change Log, those users will be able to see all changes logged including those made before they were granted the right.
If a user is deactivated, their changes will still be displayed and their name will be changed to "Deactivated User".
Which Changes Are Logged?
Changes made to project data are logged for each project as follows:
- Project Fields: Users will only see changes to fields for which they have at least read only rights.
- Financial EventsPro Premium: Since financial events do not have names, they are identified by their Due Date. If the Due Date is changed, the financial event is identified by its Timing in this entry.
- Changes in timing: e.g., moving, extending or shortening a project, or inserting zero allocations
- Adding or Removing a Project from a Program
- Apply from/Submit to Plan of Record: only single projects
For each program, the following changes are logged:
- Adding a program (either a new one or by duplicating an existing one)
- Changing a program name
The following types of changes made are logged:
- Manual Changes: made in a project's details, the Board View or in the Portfolio Designer
- REST API
- Microsoft Power Automate
- Quick Import
Only the change itself and not the source of a change is logged.
Previous change entries of deleted project data (e.g., milestones) remain in the Change Log. In place of the name, "(deleted)" is added to the project data (e.g., "(deleted milestone)").
Which Changes Are Not Logged?
The following changes are not logged:
- Milestone Dependencies
- Project Segments
- Apply from/Submit to Plan of Record: not complete scenarios or the Plan of Record
- Auto-Schedule: changes made to the start and finish date by using the Auto-Schedule feature
- Additional information when adding projects: When a project is added manually via Add Project, only the Name, Start and Finish are noted in the Change Log entry. Additional information such as project manager (in the Portfolio Designer, Board View and Goals View) or the value of the current project field (in the Board View) are not noted in the entry.
- Rank Changes to Programs
Understanding How Entries Are Displayed
To structure the Change Log for projects as clearly as possible, we have optimized the display of entries as follows:
- All changes that are made within one minute on the same project by the same user are grouped together in one entry.
- Only direct changes are logged, not the changes that follow from them (e.g., when changing a project’s timing, the Change Log only displays the moving of the project, but the resulting changes to allocations will not be logged).
- When you change the name of a project detail, the entire Change Log displays the current name, even in older entries. This allows you to more easily locate previous change entries for this project detail.
Filtering the Change Log
At the top of the Change Log, click Filter and select the data type that you want to filter. You can choose from the following data types:
- all Lookup fields: all changes per project field of the Lookup type are displayed
- all Boolean fields: all changes per project field of the Boolean type are displayed
- Status: all changes to the Status are displayed
- Business GoalPro Premium: all changes to Business Goals are displayed
- Milestones: all changes to milestones are displayed
- Financial EventsPro Premium: all changes to financial events are displayed
- Allocations: all changes to allocations are displayed
- Actual Time WorkedPro Premium: all changes to Actual Time Worked are displayed
- Rank & Rank Category: all rank changes are displayed
- Schedule: all changes to a project's schedule and rank are displayed:
- Extending without allocations
- Extending without allocations
- Changing the program assignment
- Increasing/decreasing the rank
- Changing the rank category
You can use several filters at the same time. A change entry is displayed if one of the filters applies.
Filters will remain in effect until you change them or log off from Meisterplan.
Automatic notification of changes
In your user profile under Project Changes, you can define if you want to receive regular email summaries about changes to projects you are assigned to as a project manager.
Users without the Access Change Log right can still receive email summaries.