In the Resource Pool, you can find all your roles in a clear configurable list view.
- How Roles Help You
- How to Find
- Adding Roles
- Editing Roles
- Deleting Roles
In this video we show you how to configure roles in Meisterplan.
How Roles Help You
Roles describe how an employee contributes to a project. For example, as a “Project Manager“ or “Developer“. By adding roles to projects, you can start planning long before you know which particular employee will work on the project.
Once you move from the rough to a detailed plan, use the Staff Role feature to find the right employee for your projects.
How to Find
You need to have the Edit Resource Pool and Absences right to access this function.
In the left Sidebar, click Resource Pool and select the Roles tab:
In the list, you can see an overview of all roles with selected role details. Click on a column header to sort its content alphabetically or numerically (depending on content type). Use the Search field to search all columns for a word or phrase. To add roles or role capacities using the Quick Import, click Import.
Configuring Your View
To see only the role details that are relevant to you, customize the role list. Click Configure Columns to select the information you want to display in your preferred order.
You can also change the order of the columns by dragging and dropping them in your preferred order.
Find a list of all fields that you can select as columns here.
The role view is only configured per user. If you reconfigure your columns, only you will see the changed configuration.
Import and Export
To access this button, you need to have the Import and Export Data right.
Under Import and Export, you can add roles or role capacities using the Quick Import. You can save an Excel file of your configured view by clicking Export Roles.
You can add a new role in Meisterplan either manually or collectively by importing them.
Adding by Import
There are several options for importing roles collectively, and some options can also be automated:
- Adding roles from other tools
- Copy & Paste from spreadsheets
- Excel Import
In the role list, click Add Role and fill in the fields. Name is the only required field, the others are optional.
Find an overview of all fields with explanations here.
To edit an existing role, move your cursor over the role entry in the list and click the pencil icon at the end of the line.
In the section General, you can find the following fields.
- Name: Required Field
- Cost per Hour: Basis for calculating allocation cost; also used for resources with this primary role when no cost per hour is designated for the resource.
- Cost Type: Must be either Opex or Capex
- OBS: Use the organizational breakdown structure to define, for example, the department and office of the role; learn more in the Managing OBS article.
In the Role Capacities in "[current scenario]" section, you can add capacity changes for roles, either temporary or permanent changes.
Click Change Capacity and add the following details:
- Capacity Change in FTE: Capacity of the role in the time period specified; the capacity change is added to (or subtracted from) the base role capacity ( sum of all resource capacity with this role as primary role).
- Start/Finish Date: This field is optional; if no dates are entered, the change is valid for the time period between the previous and the following capacity change. If there are no other capacity changes, the capacity change always applies.
Role capacity changes are scenario-dependent and are only valid for the scenario that is currently selected in the header.
Exceeding the License Package
Adding additional role capacity will count towards your license consumption and may exceed the number of resources available in your current package. Contact the Meisterplan administrator in your organization if you are unsure about the amount of role capacities you can add for your planning.
To delete a role, move your cursor over the role entry in the list view and click the trash can icon at the end of the line. You can also delete a role in the role detail view.
Deleting a role has the following consequences:
- Direct allocations of this role in the scenario or Plan of Record will be deleted together with the role, both current and past allocations.
- Resources with the deleted role as primary role lose their primary role.
- Allocations of resources with the deleted role as primary role and project role lose their project role.
- Allocations of resources with the deleted role as project role but not as primary role will be changed to the primary role of the resource.