This article gives an overview about the Excel import and export features in Meisterplan.
- Required Access Level
- Import from Excel
- Excel Import in Main Menu vs. Excel Data Source Import
- Export to Excel
Required Access Level
The Excel import and export both require the Administrator or Data Manager access level.
The Excel import and export are both accessible via the main menu.
In the Data Sources tab in the settings, an extended Excel import with more detailed import options is available via an Excel data source. This is suggested if you already have some data in Meisterplan you want to distinguish from data imported via Excel or if you are importing data from various sources.
If you are planning to import data from Excel only and don't want to distinguish data sources, the Excel import available in the main menu should suit your needs. The Excel Import in Main Menu vs. Excel Data Source Import section below lists differences between both methods.
If you have any questions or issues importing your data please don't hesitate to contact us.
Import from Excel
- Select the Import from Excel... option from the main menu to open the Import from Excel window.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Excel template for your Meisterplan instance. You can download the latest version via the link or button at the top of the Import from Excel window.
- If you already have data in Meisterplan, you can export these data to Excel via the main menu, modify the resulting Excel file and reimport it instead of starting with a blank Excel template.
- Enter the desired data in your Excel template or your previously exported Excel file. See this page for details about the Excel template.
- Under File, click the folder button and select your Excel file to import.
- Under Setting for Existing Plan of Record During Import, determine how to treat existing plan of record data in Meisterplan during the import:
- Keep and update: existing plan of record data in Meisterplan will be retained. If the Excel file to import contains data records existing in Meisterplan (internal ID in Meisterplan matches ID column value in Excel), these data records will be completely overwritten with the data from the Excel file. Fields left empty in the Excel template will result in empty fields in Meisterplan, potentially overwriting any data previously stored in these fields.
- Delete and replace: existing plan of record data in Meisterplan will be deleted and completely replaced by the data in the Excel file.
- Click Import to start the import. Data will be imported into the plan of record without affecting any scenario.
Excel Import in Main Menu vs. Excel Data Source Import
The Import from Excel in the main menu works slightly different than the import via an Excel data source. The following table gives a short overview about the differences.
|Excel Import in Main Menu||Excel Data Source Import|
|Always available for Administrators and Data Managers.||Must be configured for Administrators and Data Managers.|
|Imported data have "Meisterplan" as Data Source entry.
The data behave as if they had been created inside Meisterplan.
|Data source name is set as Data Source entry.|
|Project list will always be sorted by priority of the imported projects.||Applying the project priority from Excel is optional.|
|Global update or delete option for import.||Configurable update and import rules allow for treating different types of data differently.|
Export to Excel
- Select the Export to Excel... option from the main menu to open the Export to Excel window.
- Either the plan of record data or the data of a scenario will be exported. Under Scenario, the active scenario will be selected by default. If no scenario is active, the Plan of Record will be selected. If desired, change this selection.
- Click OK to start the export. The selected data will be exported into a new Excel file using the latest version of the Excel template for your Meisterplan instance.