This article provides an overview over the integrated pivot reports in Meisterplan.
- The Four Report Types
- Field Chooser and Available Fields
- Other Functions
- Exporting a Report
- Included Templates
The Four Report Types
There are four types of integrated pivot reports in Meisterplan:
- Pivot & Charts: Allocations
- Pivot & Charts: Capacities
- Pivot & Charts: Projects
- Pivot & Charts: Financials
Different fields are available for different report types. Click on a report type name to learn more.
Pivot reports contain an optional chart to visualize the data. Select the desired chart type by clicking the Chart button in the toolbar. The chart type options are:
- Stacked Column
- Stacked Bar
Select None in the Chart button in the toolbar if you don't wish to display a chart.
Hover over a chart to display associated information:
Field Chooser and Available Fields
To customize your report, click this toolbar button. The field list will open. Here, you may select the desired grouping, data and filter fields from allocations, projects, and roles/resources:
Field Chooser Areas
- All Fields: select allocation, project and resource fields for grouping, filtering and displaying data.
- Filter Fields: drag fields to this area to filter by their values. Click the funnel icon to select the desired values.
- Row/Column Fields: drag fields to these areas to group by them.
- Data Fields: drag fields to this area to display them.
Different fields are available to include in a report, depending on the report type. See the individual articles linked in the The Four Report Types section to learn more.
However, for each type of integrated pivot report, the following is true:
- Not all types of custom project fields can be included. You can include fields of the type Boolean, Currency, Date, Decimal, Integer, Lookup, and String.
- Skills that are specified for resources in the Resource Pool can not be included.
To remove a report field, right-click it and select Remove Field:
Users with the access level Administrator or Data Manager can click this toolbar button to save the current state of the report view, including any active filters, sort orders, arrangement of grouping fields and expanded groups.
Interactive Report View Features
- Sort: click any grouping field to reverse the sort order.
- Filter: click the funnel icon on any filter or grouping field to filter the view. Use the Rank Category field to filter projects by rank: above Must-Have, Below Cut-Off or in between (Regular). Default: Must-Have and Regular.
- Drag Grouping Fields: any row or column grouping fields may be rearranged via drag-and-drop. For instance, you may switch dimensions by moving all row grouping fields to the column area and vice versa. Or, you may change the grouping hierarchy by switching fields within the row or column area.
- Display Details: click the small right arrow button on a row or column group to display its sub-groups (e.g., display quarters of a year or months of a quarter).
- Hide Details: click the small down arrow button of an expanded group to hide its sub-groups.
- Expand All/Collapse All: right-click any row or column group and select Expand All to display all sub-groups of every row or column group in the report. Right-click and select Collapse All to hide all sub-groups.
When adding a new pivot report, you configure it via the following dialog (not all report types apply to all fields):
To change to configuration of an existing report, hover the report name in the Report view and then click the pencil icon.
The following options are available for allocation pivot reports.
- Name to display in the report manager and in the report menu.
- Report Rights: select users that should be able to create this report.
- Allocation Unit: select FTE, Days (person days as configured under Manage > General) or Hours.
The default allocation unit for new allocation pivot reports depends on the allocation unit selected in your Portfolio Designer view settings under Projects:
|Project Allocation Unit||Report Default Allocation Unit|
- Time Slice Period: select Weeks or Months (default Months).
- Time periods before today: number of weeks or months before today to include in the report.
- Time periods after today: number of weeks or months after today to include in the report.
Please note that the total of time periods before today and after today taken together is limited to a maximum of 100.
Exporting a Report
Click this toolbar button to export:
- Pivot as Excel: export the current state of the pivot grid to Microsoft Excel. Groups will only be expanded if they are also expanded in the pivot grid at the time of the export.
- Chart as pdf, svg, png, jpeg or gif: export the current state of the chart to a pdf or image file.
Each Meisterplan system includes preconfigured templates, from which you an create new integrated pivot reports at any time.
To create a new report from a template, open the reports view and click Templates in the toolbar:
Creating reports from templates requires the Administrator or Data Manager access level.
The following table provides tips for how to use report templates as part of your portfolio and resource management process:
Target Group Benefit
|Pivot & Charts: Allocations||Allocation Cost by Project||Displays resource allocation cost by project.||
||"As a project manager, I would like to identify allocation costs of my projects, such that I can meet the agreed specifications."||
|Pivot & Charts: Financials||CapEx Requirements||Displays CapEx requirements by point in time and by project.||
||"As a PMO, I would like to see at which points in time CapEx amounts are required, such that I can provide them in time."||
|Pivot & Charts: Allocations||Demand by Role/Resource||Shows which resource works in which project at what point in time.||
||"As a resource manager, I would like to know the medium-term requirements to the resources I am responsible for, such that I can concretely time the placement of personnel."||
|Pivot & Charts: Capacities||Capacity Utilization||Gives an overview of over- and under-allocation of roles and resources.||
||"As a PMO, I would like to receive concrete figures for the utilization of roles and resources in order to adjust the general capacity levels."||
|Net Capacities by Week||Gives an overview of short-term free capacities by role and by resource.||
||"As a resource manager or PMO, I would like to receive concrete figures for free capacities, so that I can use them in other projects."||
|Project Net Values||Helps to prioritize projects by net value.||
||"As a PMO, I would like to see the concrete net values of my projects in order to prioritize the projects based on financial criteria."||