This article explains how to install the on-premise instance of Meisterplan on your own server. Please ensure that your environment meets the Server System Requirements.
- The On-Premise Package
- Getting Your Installation Package
- The mpctl Control Binary
- Allowing Access to the Docker Daemon
- Conveniently Managing Meisterplan with mpctl
- Installing Meisterplan
- Which Components Will Be Installed?
- Further Steps
The On-Premise Package
Getting Your Installation Package
Contact our Meisterplan Sales team to receive a download link and obtain your Meisterplan Installation Package.
The package is provided as a compressed archive. To unpack it, open a shell and call
tar xvfz meisterplan-onpremise-<date>.tar.gz in the directory where you want to install Meisterplan.
The mpctl Control Binary
Once extracted, the executable file
mpctl is located in the single sub-directory
/meisterplan. This is the main binary, which will install, manage and configure Meisterplan. You can run
./mpctl --help to view a list of all available commands.
Allowing Access to the Docker Daemon
mpctl work correctly, your Linux user account must be able to manage Docker containers.
- Review the Linux Post-Installation steps on the Docker website. Please note that this will grant privileges equivalent to the root user.
sudo groupadd docker
sudo usermod -aG docker $USER
- logout and login to ensure the group membership is re-evaluated
- Alternatively all calls to
mpctlcan be done with
sudoor by using the root user.
Conveniently managing Meisterplan with mpctl
In order to call the mpctl binary from any directory (which we recommend), you can execute the following command, which will create a symlink to the binary:
sudo ln -sf <installation-path-of-meisterplan>/mpctl /usr/local/bin/mpctl
Prerequisites before Starting the Installation
- Please ensure that your system meets the current Server System Requirements and that your Linux user account has the privileges to manage Docker containers
- Verify that the server on which Meisterplan will be installed is able to connect to the third-party systems from which data will be imported into Meisterplan
- We recommend to install Meisterplan on a dedicated host or virtual machine with no other services running. Also please ensure that Port 80 is not used by another application.
Starting the Installation
- In the shell, navigate to the path where the installation package was extracted. This will be the path where Meisterplan will keep its data. If you wish to change the installation directory, you can do so by moving the complete directory to a location of your choice.
- In the root of your installation directory, call
- You will be prompted for all required configuration options.
- You can view the detailed list of all options on the Configuration Properties page.
- If you choose not to configure the mail server, the following features will not be available after your installation:
- User-initiated password reset via mail ("Forgot your password?")
- Automatic welcome mail when new users are created
- Automatic invitation mails when users are invited
Which Components Will Be Installed?
The Meisterplan application is supplied in Docker Containers. As a multi-container application, it includes several different services. Docker-Compose is included in the installation package and is used to start and configure the individual services.
When installing Meisterplan, the following Docker containers will start:
- the Meisterplan core application
- a reverse proxy to route to the different containers
- a database service
- a message queue for the communication between the services
- an authentication microservice
- an email microservice to send emails (configuration is optional)
If you wish to secure the access to your system with SSL encryption, you can add a Proxy Server to your environment.