Use copy and paste to easily import new financial events into Meisterplan from spreadsheets. This helps you plan your portfolio with the most up-to-date data.
- How To Find
- Step 1: Choose Type of Data and Prepare
- Step 2: Copy & Paste
- Step 3: Assign Fields
- Step 4: Validate & Edit
- Validation and Error Correction
- Exact Matching of Projects and Milestones
- Handling Existing Financial Events
In this video we will show you the basics of how the Quick Import works, using the project import as an example:
Required User Rights
For importing financial events as described in this article, you need to have the following rights:
- To import your financial events into the Plan of Record, you need to have the Edit Plan of Record right; to import them into a scenario, you need to have the edit rights for the respective scenario
- Add, Change and Delete Financial Events
- Import and Export Data
You can import data from all common spreadsheet formats, such as Microsoft Excel (both the desktop application and the Office 365 version) and Google Sheets.
How To Find
In the Portfolio Designer, click Import and Export and select Quick Import to open an overview of all copy and paste imports from spreadsheets:
If you would like to import your financial events into another scenario than the one currently selected, switch to that scenario by clicking Scenario or Plan of Record in the top left of the header:
Step 1: Choose Type of Data and Prepare
Click Financial Events:
Updating Financial Events
Existing financial events in Meisterplan cannot be updated. You can either keep existing financial events and add new ones, or delete existing financial events and import the new ones in their place. Find more details here.
Download Example Spreadsheet
If you don‘t have a spreadsheet of financial events available, download our example spreadsheet of financial events. This example serves as an outline for configuring your financial events related data. You can also use the example spreadsheet to run a test import in your Meisterplan system.
Your existing financial events will not be overwritten or deleted by the test import. You can delete the imported sample events at any time.
To successfully import your financial events, your spreadsheet should contain one line per financial events, and a column for each data field you would like to import.
Fields That Can Be Imported
These are the required fields that your spreadsheet should contain:
- Project Name: The name should match an existing project in Meisterplan.
- Type: must be:
- Timing or Due Date: must be:
- the name of a milestone in the project
- "Project Start"
- "Project Finish"
- a custom date; for the correct format see here
- Amount: for the correct format see here
The following are optional fields you can import:
- Category: The name should match an existing finance category in Meisterplan.
"Project Start" and "Project Finish" as Milestone Names
If you have milestones named "Project Start" or "Project Finish", financial events will always be assigned to these milestones and not to the actual project start or project finish.
Date and Number Formatting
To successfully import date and number fields, follow the formatting standards below:
To correctly import dates into Meisterplan, your spreadsheet and browser language or locale settings (e.g., English – United States) must match. Your selected language in Meisterplan is not relevant in this case and may differ.
To import dates successfully:
- Enter your dates in the YYYY-MM-DD format and the date format will be updated based on your browser language settings.
- Or compare the language settings of your browser and your spreadsheet to ensure they are set to the same language. Some browsers distinguish between the language they use to display websites and the language for their own menus - the former is relevant when importing data.
To successfully import numbers with decimals (e.g., 2.5 FTE in English, 2,5 FTE in German), your spreadsheet and browser language also need to match (see above). If they don’t match, the number will not be imported, and you will get an error message.
To import numbers successfully:
- Do not use a thousands separator (e.g., $10,500) because they will not be recognized and could be misinterpreted as decimals separators.
- Enter only positive numbers, negative numbers (e.g., -5 hours) will cause an error message.
- Do not add units such as currency (e.g., $ or €). Your Meisterplan system will automatically use the currency selected in the left Sidebar under General Settings.
Step 2: Copy & Paste
Copy the desired data from your spreadsheet and paste the data in Meisterplan (e.g., using CTRL+V). In this step, you can copy and paste different data as often as needed.
Step 3: Assign Fields
If your imported column name matches an existing field in Meisterplan, Meisterplan will assign it automatically. If you’d like to change or add a field assignment, just drag and drop the Meisterplan field to the desired location. This step ensures your spreadsheet data maps to the appropriate Meisterplan field.
Step 4: Validate & Edit
Validation and Error Correction
In this step, you can validate and edit your financial events before import. Simply edit the highlighted field by clicking on it. Fields highlighted in dark red indicate an error that will prevent the complete line (i.e., the financial event) from being imported. Fields highlighted in light red indicate an error that will prevent the field from being imported, but not the rest of the line.
Under Import Settings, select whether you would like to keep existing financial events in Meisterplan or replace them with new ones.
Once you’ve corrected all errors, click Import. Your data is now available in Meisterplan.
Exact Matching of Projects and Milestones
In Meisterplan, financial events are assigned to projects, and within projects are linked to either the project start, the project finish, a milestone or a custom date.
To import financial events, the project names in your spreadsheet and (if relevant) their milestones need to match exactly the project and milestone names in Meisterplan. This means that each of the projects should exist only once in the relevant scenario in Meisterplan, and each milestone only once per project.
Please note that, while Meisterplan generally supports having multiple projects and milestones with the same name in a scenario, importing financial events for these projects and milestones through the Quick Import is not possible.
Handling Existing Financial Events
It is not possible to update existing financial events in Meisterplan with the Quick Import. You can either keep existing financial events and add new ones, or delete existing financial events and import new ones in their place.
Select the right option under Import Settings in step 4 "Validate & Edit":
Imported Financial Events
Once you've clicked Import, your financial events will be available in the Plan of Record or the selected scenario.