This product enhancement is a work in progress. Features, design and planned release date are subject to change. It will first be released in the SaaS version of Meisterplan, the On-Premise release will follow.
We are excited to announce the new User Groups that will be available by the end of September 2020. Flexibly and transparently manage permissions, and keep an overview of a large number of users by organizing them into user groups:
How the New User Groups Support Your Portfolio Management
- Bundle rights, for example, by Lean PPM™ roles such as PMO or project manager.
- Define rights according to your preferences instead of working with pre-defined access levels.
- Use the groups to transparently map which responsibilities an employee has.
- Easily move a user to a different group if their responsibilities have changed.
- The new distinction between read only and editing rights for project fields enables you to, for example, allow project managers to view a project’s Stage Gate, but not edit it.
How the New User Groups Will Work
- After release, all users still have the same rights as before and can continue working in Meisterplan without any disruption.
- Access the user groups from the sidebar under “Manage”.
- Set permissions no longer per user but per group.
- Add users to as many groups as you like.
- Permissions of groups are additive, which means that a user will have all permissions that are granted for at least one of the groups they are assigned to, even if that right is not granted for other groups they are assigned to.
- Additional changes in the course of introducing the user groups:
- Extension of Project Field Rights: Distinguish between read only and editing rights for project fields.
- Extension of the Manage > User view: Hide or show deactivated users as needed.
Important Information for Administrators
- After release, your users still have the same rights as before and can continue working in Meisterplan without any disruption.
- Note for users with the “Personal Plan (only app access)” level: those users will be given the same rights as the current "Viewers” access level.
- The introduction of group-based access rights requires an automated migration as part of the release:
- One group will be automatically created per user with their current rights, which will allow you enough time to create and customize groups to fit your needs.
- We recommend that you customize your user groups for your organization (see “Need for Action by Administrators”).
- Initially, only Administrators will be able to configure user groups, but you can then extend this right to other users.
Need for Action by Administrators
- We recommend you reserve some time after release for replacing the automatically created groups with groups that fit your organization (see “Important Information for Administrators”).
- You can already find a step-by-step guide on how to do this in our Replacing Automatically Created User Groups article.
- We also recommend you make a plan ahead of time regarding how to customize your user groups.
Do You Have Questions?
If you need more information, please contact us at email@example.com.