This article describes, step by step, how to access Meisterplan reporting data with Microsoft Power BI after activating external reporting in Meisterplan and setting up an ODBC connection (see the Preparations for Reporting with Microsoft Power BI or Microsoft Excel article for details).
- Creating a New Power BI Report
- Creating a Power BI Report from a Template for Meisterplan
Creating a New Power BI Report
Opening Microsoft Power BI
- Open Microsoft Power BI.
Selecting the ODBC Data Source
- In the splash screen, click Get Data.
- In the Get Data window, type "ODBC" in the search field at the top left and click Connect.
- In the From ODBC window, select the ODBC data source you previously created and click OK.
Selecting Reporting Tables
- In the Navigator window, select all reporting tables to connect to and click Load.
- Create your report with Microsoft Power BI.
Creating a Power BI Report from a Template for Meisterplan
Downloading the Power BI Template Reports
- Click the following link to download our set of templates for Power BI: Meisterplan_Power_BI_Templates.zip
- allocations_template.pbit: Scenario Comparison of Allocations by Month
- financials_template.pbit: Scenario Comparison of Financial Values by Month
- project_dates_template.pbit: Scenario Comparison of Project Start and Finish
Opening and Connecting a Template Report
- Unzip the downloaded set of templates and open any of the contained .pbit files with Power BI. This is usually done simply by double-clicking the desired file.
- Power BI will try updating the report by connecting to the stored database connection. Click Cancel, then Close to abort this process and connect to your database.
- In the Home tab, click the upper half of the Edit Queries button.
- In case a menu is opened, select the Edit Queries option from the menu.
- This will open a new Window called Query Editor.
- On the right-hand side, click on the gear icon next to Source.
- In the dialog window that is now displayed, use the dropdown menu to change the ODBC data source.
- Select the ODBC connection that you have created for the reporting database of your Meisterplan instance. Do not change any other field in the dialog.
- Click OK.
- Close the Query Editor.
- You will be asked to Apply your changes. Confirm to update the report with your data.