This article describes, step by step, how to access Meisterplan reporting data with Microsoft Power BI after activating external reporting in Meisterplan and setting up an ODBC connection (see the Preparations for Reporting with Microsoft Power BI or Microsoft Excel article for details).
- Creating a New Power BI Report
- Creating a Power BI Report from a Template for Meisterplan
Creating a New Power BI Report
Opening Microsoft Power BI
- Open Microsoft Power BI.
Selecting the ODBC Data Source
- In the splash screen, click Get Data.
- In the Get Data window, type "ODBC" in the search field at the top left and click Connect.
- In the From ODBC window, select the ODBC data source you previously created and click OK.
Selecting Reporting Tables
- In the Navigator window, select all reporting tables to connect to and click Load.
- Create your report with Microsoft Power BI.
Creating a Power BI Report for Meisterplan from a Template
The Meisterplan Report Templates for Power BI
With the Meisterplan report templates, you can easily create reports in Power BI to evaluate your project portfolio. Choose from these templates:
More screenshots (open in new tab to enlarge):
Get an overview of your portfolio. With bubble charts and organized lists, you can get a complete view of the status of your portfolio and resource allocations.
Scenario Comparison - Project Dates
Use this report to visualize changes in project dates between different scenarios.
Scenario Comparison - Allocations
Use this report to compare differences in allocations between separate Meisterplan scenarios.
Scenario Comparison - Financials
With this report, you can compare differences in your portfolio's financial data between different scenarios.
Opening and Connecting a Template Report
- Open the downloaded .pbit file with Power BI. This is usually done simply by double-clicking the file.
- Power BI will try updating the report by connecting to the stored database connection. Click Cancel, then Close to abort this process and connect to your database.
- In the Home tab, click the upper half of the Edit Queries button.
- In case a menu is opened, select the Edit Queries option from the menu.
- This will open a new Window called Query Editor.
- On the right-hand side, click on the gear icon next to Source.
- In the dialog window that is now displayed, use the dropdown menu to change the ODBC data source.
- Select the ODBC connection that you have created for the reporting database of your Meisterplan instance. Do not change any other field in the dialog.
- Click OK.
- Close the Query Editor.
- You will be asked to Apply your changes. Confirm to update the report with your data.