Our modern Reporting API has replaced the older technology of the reporting database. The reporting database will no longer be available for existing systems that never activated the database nor for new test systems created since 09/10/2020.
The reporting database will remain active in existing systems that are currently using the feature. We are happy support you with any questions concerning the migration to the new Reporting API before replacing the reporting database. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
This article describes, step by step, how to access Meisterplan reporting data with Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
- Creating a New Power BI Report
- Creating a Power BI Report from a Template for Meisterplan
Ensure that the following prerequisites are met before accessing Meisterplan data with Microsoft Power BI Desktop:
- Activate external reporting in Meisterplan and set up an ODBC connection (see the Preparations for Reporting with Microsoft Power BI or Microsoft Excel article for details).
- Install Microsoft Power BI Desktop on your computer. Choose the version that fits your operating system (64bit or 32bit)
Creating a New Power BI Report
Opening Microsoft Power BI Desktop
- Open Microsoft Power BI.
Selecting the ODBC Data Source
- In the splash screen, click Get Data.
- In the Get Data window, type "ODBC" in the search field on the top left and click Connect.
- In the From ODBC window, select the ODBC data source you previously created and click OK.
- If you are asked to enter your credentials, make sure to use use the username and password for your Meisterplan reporting database, not your Meisterplan user account:
Selecting Reporting Tables
- In the Navigator window, select all reporting tables to connect to and click Load.
Please note: Only use tables from the "reporting" folder, not from the "public" folder.
- Create your report with Microsoft Power BI.
Creating a Power BI Report for Meisterplan from a Template
The Meisterplan Report Templates for Power BI Desktop (Download)
With the Meisterplan report templates, you can easily create reports in Power BI Desktop to evaluate your project portfolio. Choose from these templates:
More screenshots (open in new tab to enlarge):
Get an overview of your portfolio. With bubble charts and organized lists, you can get a complete view of the status of your portfolio and resource allocations.
Scenario Comparison - Project Dates
Use this report to visualize changes in project dates between different scenarios.
Scenario Comparison - Allocations
Use this report to compare differences in allocations between separate Meisterplan scenarios.
Scenario Comparison - Financials
With this report, you can compare differences in your portfolio's financial data between different scenarios.
Opening and Connecting a Template Report
- Open the downloaded .pbit file with Power BI Desktop. This is usually done simply by double-clicking the file.
- Power BI will try updating the report by connecting to the stored database connection. Click Cancel, then Close to abort this process and connect to your database.
- In the Home tab, click the upper half of the Edit Queries button.
- In case a menu is opened, select the Edit Queries option from the menu.
- This will open a new Window called Query Editor.
- On the right-hand side, click on the gear icon next to Source.
- In the dialog window that is now displayed, use the dropdown menu to change the ODBC data source.
- Select the ODBC connection that you have created for the reporting database of your Meisterplan instance. Do not change any other field in the dialog.
- Click OK.
- Close the Query Editor.
- You will be asked to Apply your changes. Confirm to update the report with your data.