This article describes creating and configuring custom project fields in the Field Configuration tab of the Meisterplan settings.
- Required Access Level
- Field List
- Adding Custom Project Fields
- Editing Custom Project Fields
- Deactivating Custom Project Fields
- Deleting Custom Project Fields
- Custom Project Field Attributes
- Available Data Types and Limits
- Additional Maximum Size Values
Required Access Level
The Field Configuration tab is only available to users with the Administrator access level.
You may add any number of custom project fields in Meisterplan. The Field Configuration view displays a list of these fields.
Any active custom fields enabled for display in hints and the Edit Project window will be displayed there in the order of the field list below the default fields.
Please note that field rights are also required to be able to see a field.
You may sort the list via drag-and-drop. To do this, click the row of a field you wish to move, hold the mouse button and drag the field's row to the desired new list position.
The Status system field is also listed here. This is a default lookup field that is always available. Unlike any custom fields you define yourself, you can’t deactivate, delete or exclude it from hints and the Edit Project window. As it is a default field, its position in the field list has no effect on the order of fields in hints and the Edit Project window. You may, however, restrict access to this field via field rights and modify its lookup values.
Adding Custom Project Fields
Add new custom project fields by using the Add Field menu:
Editing Custom Project Fields
Once created, you may open and modify a custom project field's attributes by double-clicking its list item or by clicking the pen icon at the right edge of that list item.
Deactivating Custom Project Fields
You may deactivate any custom field. The Status system field cannot be deactivated.
Deactivated fields will be excluded from the Edit Project window, from hints, from the filter menu and from the color selection in the project view settings. They will also be excluded from the project filter settings for portfolios.
Deactivated fields must still be specified when importing data from an external application like Excel.
To deactivate a custom project field, open its attributes and deselect the Active option.
Deleting Custom Project Fields
You may delete any custom field. The Status system field cannot be deleted.
When a field is deleted, any existing field values will be removed. The field will no longer be available for importing data.
Previously exported Excel files or downloaded Excel templates will no longer be importable unless the field is deleted from them as well.
To delete a custom project field, hover over its list item and click the garbage can icon.
You will be informed that the field will no longer be available after the deletion.
Click Delete to confirm the deletion.
Custom Project Field Attributes
- Type: selected when creating the field. This can’t be changed.
- Column Name: internal column name that will also be used when exporting data to Microsoft Excel. This is prefixed “cust_” once you create the field and can then no longer be modified.
- Nice Name: display name for the field used throughout Meisterplan in the Edit Project window, in hints as well as in filter and Gantt configuration menus (the latter two only apply to Lookup fields which will be described in the table below).
- Description: internal description which is only displayed in the configuration and serves as a comment for other users with administrative privileges.
- Active: once created, you can’t delete custom fields but it is possible to deactivate them. They will then be excluded from the Edit Project window, from hints, from the filter menu and from the color selection in the project view settings. They will also be excluded from the project filter settings for portfolios.
- Show this field in project hint: use this option to display or hide the field in the project hint. Please note that even with this option, only fields that are not empty will be displayed in hints.
- Show this field in project view: toggle display in the Edit Project window here. If you exclude the field from the Edit Project window, it will no longer be editable in Meisterplan.
- Field Rights: select all users for who this field should be displayed.
- Field Rights are required in addition to the associated settings to:
- Display the field in project hints
- Edit the field in the Edit Projectwindow
- Field Rights are also required for:
- Filtering the project list by a field
- Displaying lookup colors via the project view settings
- Field Rights are not required for:
- Filtering a portfolio by a field
- Data extraction for external reporting
- Exporting data to Microsoft Excel
Available Data Types and Limits
||Earliest: 01/01/1970 Latest: 12/31/9999|
Additional Maximum Size Values
|Custom Field Column Name||58 characters|
|Custom Field Nice Name||2,048 characters|
|Notes (e.g. project notes)||32,000 characters|
|Description (e.g. business goal)||32,000 characters|